Healthy Ramadan Treat: Rice pudding
1 h 5 m
4 servings 363 calories
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep: 45 m
Cook: 20 m
Ready In: 1 h 5 m
- Combine water and rice over high heat in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Combine cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar, and salt in a clean saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg, and raisins. Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract.
- Serve warm.
- Ahmed Bakir
2/3 cup almond or coconut mill
11/3 cup frozen raspberries thawed
3 TBS raw honey
¼ tsp vanilla
¼ cup coconut oil
Add all the ingredients to a blender except the coconut oil and process until smooth.
Then add the coconut oil and process for another 30 seconds.
- Caro Doss
Pumpkin Chia Seed Pudding
2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk*
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (use a BPA-free can)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (make your own pumpkin spice: mix 4 tablespoons ground
cinnamon; 4 teaspoons ground nutmeg; 4 teaspoons ground ginger and 3 teaspoons ground
allspice together and keep in an airtight container)
1 teaspoon liquid sweetener (stevia, raw honey)* - optional
2/3 cup chia seeds*
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes*
Add milk and pumpkin puree to a saucepan, and place it over medium/low heat.
Add vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and sweetener (optional).
Mix thoroughly for about 3 minutes until warm, but not boiling. In a separate cereal bowl, add your chia seeds.
When the milk and pumpkin mixture is warm, add it to the chia seeds. Mix for 2 to 3 minutes until
the chia seeds have absorbed the excess liquid.
Top with coconut flakes.
- Caro Doss
Vegan Blueberry Peach Yogurt Cake | Gluten Free
1⅓ cup Gluten Free baking flour
⅓ cup coconut sugar
⅓ cup maple syrup
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup blueberries
½ cup greek yogurt, unsweetened
½ lemon zest
½ tsp apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
-Preheat oven to 350°F.
-Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper.
-Wash, clean and cut peaches into slices.
-SGF flour mix, baking soda and baking powder together into a medium bowl.
-In a separate bowl, beat oil, coconut sugar, syrup, yogurt, lemon zest, salt, vinegar and vanilla extract until creamy.
-Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture while beating. Beat until combined. Do not over-mix. You'll end up with a quite dry butter: that's perfect.
-Transfer the batter to a cake pan. Place sliced peaches in circles / rays and add blueberries evenly in the spaces between the slices.
-Sprinkle with powdered coconut sugar.
-Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Test for doneness with a toothpick.
-Serve warm or at room temperature.
-Sprinkle more coconut sugar.
-Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea
- Caro Doss
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
Cookies are great, and chocolate chip cookies are even better. But nothing compares to a vegan chocolate chip cookie pie.
- 2 cans white beans (drained and rinsed) (500g total, once drained)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar (EDIT: click for a Sugar-Free Cookie Pie.)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
1 Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a good food processor (not a blender).
2. Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan.
3. Cook at 175C for around 35-40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- NGS Team