Homemade Vanilla & Coconut Cake
- 1 pack vanilla cake mix (about 500g) OR Vanilla Cake Mix (Gluten Free) sold by NGS
- 5 NGS balady organic eggs OR NGS Balady Eggs (Chemical free) - بيض بلدي
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted) OR Coconut Oil sold by NGS - زيت جوز الهند
- 1/3 cup water (lukewarm) - ماء
- 3-4 tablespoon coconut flakes OR NGS Shredded Coconut - رقائق جوز الهند
- 1 cup dates (minced) OR dried cranberries OR chocolate chips - بلح
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a rectangular 23x13cm cake pan with parchment paper by placing the paper then brushing over it with coconut oil.
- In a food processor or using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs. Add coconut oil and mix for another 30 seconds then slowly add the Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake Mix bit by bit until it is all combined.
- Slowly add water, while you are mixing, to achieve the desired cake dough consistency - like a smooth, velvety and heavy liquid.
- Stop the mixer and manually stir in minced dates (or chocolate chips or dried cranberries.)
- Pour the dough into the cake tin and place it in the middle of the oven for 40-45 minutes. Halfway through, sprinkle the cake with coconut flakes. You can check the doneness of the cake by poking a toothpick or knife through it. It should come out clean. Take it out of the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes before cutting through.
To avoid burning the bottom of your cake while in the oven, make sure to place a large oven tray at the bottom of the oven to subside the heat or one under the cake tin itself.
- NGS Team